Sunday, February 10, 2013

More Pimping my car!!

# 1
#2
Tools you will need:
1. Spray glue I used loc tite available at Joann's had to use that coupon!
2. Exacto knife
3. Material of your choice if you had done door panels or are going to about 2 yards seemed to do the trick you could also measure.
4. Really important waxed paper, you probably could use freezer paper but I do not know it, will work as easily as the waxed paper
5. Scissors for cutting material, around my house there are paper scissors and material do not mix them up!
6.  Glue like Liquid Nail, E -600 , something that you can squirt around the visor edges to hold the piece after you re-fold it  back to visor.
7.  clips to hold both sides together after gluing on material, since you and I do not especially own a industrial sewing machine that could sew this shut again.
8.  The flat tool like a putty knife or something a little smaller, the thing I used was some gift for attending a Tupperware Party back in the day think it was something for dealing with oranges and their peels.
funny tool
 So here is the first part you remove the visor from the vehicle.  I then used a Exacto knife to cut the thread that binds the visor together through the material and internal cardboard as can be seen in this pic # 2.   Be careful not to cut cardbard do not want to mess that up, my thread seemed somewhat dry rotted so was not a difficult task cutting it.   After removing the material flattened it out as best I could it had that foamy backing on it and was a little fragile so be careful with it you do not want to destroy your pattern.  I used a sharpy marker to trace around the old visor pattern to make the new replacement.  Since this is the rightside (side of material that is shown to world, brighter print) of the visor I also placed it on the material's right-side as seen in pic # 4
#3
#4
So using good scissors cut out your material so you can get the new look you have been so patiently waiting for.  
in #5 you see all the excess is cut away except where the mirror this is the tricky part. you need it out but do not cut out too much this can be slid under the mirror once you get it on the card board.  Make sure to mark the places around your pattern where u need to cut it to fit this is where the curves and other openings are.  Now make sure your work surface is covered with newspaper since this is spray glue and it does get in place you will probably not want it. I just sprayed the material this time instead of both pieces since we are working with cardboard and material instead of plastic.  Before you spray if your working alone get your two sheets of waxed paper ready to use, once you have sprayed your glue on the material on the wrong side ( the color or print looks faded on wrong side) get the waxed paper and place it long wise on one half of the material and then the other piece on the other half of the visor material.  I wish I had taken a picture of this step, the reason you used the waxed paper is that it will grab the card board and of course it will be where you do not want it to be, then you will swear a blue streak....and your day will go down hill from there and you still have one more visor to to finish.   So here is were you take one of the sheets of waxed paper off, eye ball where you want to place the visor right side out on the glue sprayed piece of material, then lay it down gently and then flip it over ( you may want to have the material down and then lay the visor on top it is what your comfort level is.  You now need to smooth out wrinkles and make sure your curves are going to the inside of the visor.  When you are ready you can remove other sheet of paper and smooth the other side out also using the tool and possibly the Exacto to get the material under the vanity mirror on the other half of the visor.  During this process you must also put the excess material to the inside of the visor so you have a nice finished edge no cardboard showing
#6

#5
 Now after you have gotten
all the material smoothed out you want to get the tube glue out and go along the inside edge of the visor, use a medium size bead of glue because this is all that is going to hold that visor together unless again you have an industrial sewing machine laying around and have nothing else to do.  After Glue is applied get you clamps or clothespins and go all along the edge like in pic # 7  and # 8 let this dry for about an hour or two according to how well your weather is working for you.   Then remove the clamps and hang your new beautiful new visor in your car.  Now time to get to work on the other one.
#7
#8

 I am sure it is as sad as the first, this one will be easier since you have done one already.    I worked the passenger side first in case I ran out of time or whatever.  I do love showing off my visors and door panels to anyone who will look it has energized me and my car!!   I smile every time now that I get in the next project is getting it painted. same color but just new paint. Have fun Pimping your car!! I hope you enjoy doing your visors as much as I did.
#9



4 comments:

Taylor said...

Hi my name is Taylor and I am having The hardest time with with this DIY I Have studied your post for weeks now And have had many fault attempts, Followed but much frustration. I don't quite understand how you used the Wax paper as well as how you got your Fabric of the mirror as my mirror cover Doesn't remove. I would love some Help on this. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Yeah I do NOT understand what the wax paper was about! It doesn't make sense. At least Im not the only one!

Unknown said...

Yeah I do NOT understand what the wax paper was about! It doesn't make sense. At least Im not the only one!

Unknown said...

can't wait to try this. i know the other posts are a bit old but the wax paper will act like the back paper of a sticker.you spray the fabric with the glue place the wax paper down then you can put half the fabric onto the visor without worry of the remaining fabric sticking to things you don't want it to and then turn peel off the wax paper and attach the other side. I hope that made sense. I have a visor that is in poor shape and i plan on using this method to correct that. if i remember i will post back when done and say how hard or easy it was. I am in no way savey in these fields so i am a true novice.